Uxbridge Train Station
The Toronto & Nipissing Railway built the first Uxbridge station in 1870. For many years the station was operated by the Grand Truck Railway and in 1904 the station we know today with its “witch’s hat” roof was built, shown below.
The first passenger train came into town in 1871. In 1920s the line became part of the Canadian National Railway and serviced the town for many more years. In 1978 the station was closed to passengers while freight service continued until the 1980’s. Uxbridge received its last delivery of mail by train in April 1960 and on December 31 1961 the last passenger train passed through town. The tracks north of Uxbridge were removed and turned into part of the Trans-Canada Trial.
The Township of Uxbridge purchased the station and is now the home of the York-Durham Heritage Railway (YDR). Since 1996 the YDR has operated the station and runs historical train rides between Stouffville and Uxbridge. The train now brings tourists from all over to enjoy the train and our town. The YDR has had many popular events including A Day Out With Thomas, Harry Potter Themed Train and The Polar Express.
Visit the York-Durham Heritage Railway at www.ydhr.ca
You can read more about the history of the Uxbridge Train Station by visiting the Toronto Railway Historical Association
Photo Credit :
York-Durham Heritage Railway